What is Dogs for Better Lives?
Dogs for Better Lives (DBL) is a national nonprofit organization, based in Central Point, Oregon, whose mission is focused on the procurement, training and placing of Hearing Assistance Dogs (nationally), Autism Assistance Dogs (WA, OR, and CA), and Facility Dogs (nationally).
Accredited by Assistance Dogs International (ADI) and recognized by Charity Navigator as a 4-star nonprofit, DBL has been rescuing dogs, bettering lives, and providing Assistance Dogs since 1977.
Since its founding in 1977, DBL has grown from placing Hearing Assistance Dogs to also include Facility Dogs, and more recently, Autism Assistance Dogs. DBL has nationally placed more than 1,300 dogs since its inception by its late founder, Roy Kabot.
What is the Young Professionals Board?
As DBL continues to grow and embark on their journey to better the lives of those with disabilities, pairing them with an Assistance Dog, they aim to cultivate the next generation of leaders in the Pacific Northwest region to become involved in carrying out their mission and vision.
The DBL Young Professionals Board (YPB) – Pacific Northwest is comprised of like-minded individuals in their 20s and 30s that have a passion for dogs and giving back to people with disabilities in their communities. Members will be responsible for marketing the mission of DBL, participating in outreach events, as well as planning and fundraising through a variety of initiatives.
Am I a Good Fit for the Young Professionals Board?
It is essential that each of the Young Professional Boards encompass a rich and diverse mix of backgrounds and skillsets. We’re currently looking for members who share a passion for DBL’s mission, love dogs and how they better others’ lives, and want to collaboratively participate in something much bigger than themselves.
Where Are the Young Professionals Boards Located?
As of February 2021, we have successfully launched YPB – PNW and currently working to grow the board’s membership from across the northwest region, including Oregon, Washington, and Idaho. Later in Spring 2021, we are planning to launch YPB – California. Looking at our long-term vision, as we expand with regional satellite offices, we anticipate YPBs will be launched to support key initiatives that support DBL’s presence in the region.
DBL to launch signature event with regional Young Professionals Boards
With the support and guidance of the regional Young Professionals Boards, DBL will host a yet-to-be-determined signature event with the Pacific Northwest (WA, OR, ID) and California chapters, engaging donors, clients, and community partners.
YPB – PNW launched in 2020 and in Spring/Summer 2021 YPB – CA will launch. Eventually, we will have Young Professionals Boards across the country, working to support each of our planned regional footprints.
When committing to Dogs for Better Lives’ YPB, the term will last for one year (12 months), from the date that the YPB approves the new member. As long as the member fulfills all of the commitments throughout the year, members will be welcome to apply for an unlimited number of terms.
The Dogs for Better Lives’ YPB will have a variety of leadership roles that will be voted on by the members of the YPB. Those positions are: Chair, Vice Chair, Treasurer, and Secretary.
1) Monthly Meetings; Dogs for Better Lives’ YPB will meet monthly, usually in late afternoon or early evening. The meetings will either be in person at a location in the Greater Seattle area or a Microsoft Teams video conference call hosted by DBL.
2) Fundraising; When committing to Dogs for Better Lives’ YPB, a member is committing to a minimum fundraising “give or get” of $1,500. This will be done through three (3) initiatives:
- Event #1 – TBD
- Event #2 – TBD
- Event #3 – TBD
3) Marketing; All members of the YPB are expected to assist Dogs for Better Lives in spreading the word about their brand and mission, whether that be through word of mouth, sharing social media posts, and/or introducing new members to our community.
4) Benefits; By being involved in DBL’s Young Professionals Board, there are number of benefits you will receive for your participation:
- Being a part of something that is larger than yourself. As a member of the YPB, you will have a DIRECT impact on Dogs for Better Lives’ ability to provide our services to people in the Puget Sound region that could benefit and qualify for an Assistance Dog.
- As a member of the YPB, you will have the opportunity to network with like-minded individuals that sit alongside of you on the YPB, as well as having access to the network of Dogs for Better Lives, which includes being introduced to the Board of Directors and key staff. Please note, the YPB Chair and Vice Chair will have the opportunity to attend one (1) Board of Directors meeting to report on the status of the YPB.
- Acknowledgement on Dogs for Better Lives’ social media channels.
- Recognized in Canine Listener magazine, DBL website, and in annual report.
Recent News about YPB – Pacific Northwest
How To Apply
Those interested in applying for DBL’s Young Professionals Board – Pacific Northwest should click on the APPLY button below.