CENTRAL POINT, OR – Annually, many of us come together and celebrate International Earth Day on April 22nd with speeches, community proclamations, and volunteer clean-up events. At Dogs for Better Lives we’re committed to every day being Earth Day with a number of actions we have taken over the last several years to reduce our carbon pawprint, increase our sustainability presence, and follow mission-driven values. This April 22nd will mark the 50th anniversary of Earth Day.
“At Dogs for Better Lives (DBL), we’re not just committed to our mission of professionally training and placing Assistance Dogs with people throughout the U.S., we recognize our greater responsibility to care for our community and our planet,” stated CEO Bryan Williams. “Being mindful of our donor’s philanthropic support goes hand-in-hand with how they/we leave our legacy behind.”
WE ARE ENVIRONMENTALLY MINDFUL
We are committed to leaving the world better than we found it. As part of that commitment, we have adopted various initiatives and in-house changes that govern our everyday business to be more environmentally friendly.
- We’re reducing waste through our recycling efforts, and by choosing washable plates, cups and utensils in the office.
- We take pride in a nearly paper-less office: we refrain from printing documents as often as possible.
- We’re working towards becoming completely digital: most of our communications, documents, invoices, receipts, and contracts are conducted online.
- We’re converting our facility maintenance carts to solar energy to further reduce our carbon pawprint.
- We’ve installed a 306-panel, 97.9 kW solar array on our campus that will produce more than 75% of the organization’s energy needs, saving more than $28,000 each year.
WE ARE SOCIALLY RESPONSIBLE
Dogs for Better Lives is building a lasting and supportive social environment for our employees, suppliers and communities. We are creating positive changes in our workforce and in the local communities where we work and the way we do business there.
- Where possible, our employees are able to work remotely to promote better work+life balance.
- We’re working towards locally sourcing more of our suppliers to support the communities where we work.
- We’re engaging our communities in celebrating our accomplishments and growth.
WE ARE GUIDED BY OUR VALUES
We manage our organization in a manner that coincides with our values, addresses opportunities and risks, and takes into account the long-term interests of our employees, dogs, clients, volunteers, suppliers and communities we serve.
To learn more about our sustainability practices and track our new solar array and energy usage, visit our new sustainability page here.[Read full press release here]